I’m getting tired of getting rejected for internships, and I know a lot of the people I follow on here and who follow me are having hard times finding policy wonkish jobs. This has got me thinking that the only way we’re going to make it into policy/politics is by forging our own spaces. Creating PACs and think tanks and publishing journals and professional blogs of our own. Collaborating and creating spaces for ourselves that can help us have some impact.
One of the ideas I’ve been leaning towards is some type of political organization focusing on the advancement of youth within our political economic system. I feel like our generation has been hit particularly hard by neoliberalism. Many of us are struggling just to get by, and even those who get by have trouble envisioning a bright future for themselves. Who can contemplate having kids or getting a house or not being buried under debt? Furthermore we’re going to face the consequences of environmental degradation, resource depletion, national debt, and blowback for imperialistic policies to a far greater extent then the current generation of policy makers.
So the question arises: what would a youth centered platform consist of? (youth being defined rather broadly. Under 30?)
Here’s some planks, off the cuff. In no particular order
- Get out the youth vote and combat voter suppression.
- More affordable Housing.
- Public funding of elections.
- (Because people generally get wealthier as they get older, young people are disproportionately hurt by the idea that money=speech. What we have is our votes, our hard work, enthusiasm, and our voices. Lets make those what matters.)
- More affordable education and easing of the student loan burden.
- (End student loans unique place as the only kind of debt that can’t be discharged in bankruptcy)
- More resources for young families?
- Protection for queer youth.
- (They may be a small section of our constituency, but they’re one of the most at risk.)
- A more diverse and representative legislature on age/race/class/gender grounds.
So those are just a few ideas. Please critique them, but what’s more, please add your own. I know there’s a lot of smart people out there in the tumblrvers and I know it skews younger. What are some impediments in your life that need collective action to remove? What would give you hope?
I’m especially looking for input from historically marginalized communities. Im white/het/cis/male, and college educated and I’m sure there are so many pervasive, destructive problems out there that I am just completely oblivious to.
tl/dr: Reblog and add what planks you would add to a platform dedicated to young people.
Edit: I meant to include an increase to the minimum wage.